Updated: Mar 15, 2022
When it comes to my skin, I follow two simple principles that my great-grandmother, Nana, drilled into my brain when I was probably 9 years old-
1. ALWAYS wash your makeup off no matter what
2. ALWAYS moisturize your face & neck (necks are one of the first places to show signs of aging)
Coconut oil is my ride-or-die and I use it for everything- my hair, skin, nails, and I take a small amount of it every day in my coffee. I even use it on my dog's coat! This exfoliant scrub calls for brown sugar- I've used white sugar and "raw" sugar, and they work but I've found that brown sugar has the right texture I'm looking for to properly exfoliate my skin. I've even used coconut sugar- which also works, but it dissolves a lot faster, so if you go that route, make sure to use the face scrub immediately.
There is nothing better than waking up in the morning with glowy skin. I've been making this exfoliant scrub for years and I swear by it. I've tried all sorts of fancy, expensive face masks and face scrubs, but nothing get my skin glowy like this exfoliant does. And the good thing is, it's only 2 ingredients-and you probably already have them in your pantry!
1 Part Coconut Oil
2 Parts Brown Sugar
2-3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (great for anti-aging)
1. In a small dish, melt the coconut oil slightly (unless you're in a warmer climate and it's already melted, skip this step!)
2. Add the sugar and optional essential oils and mix well
3. After washing off your makeup, use it like you would any exfoliating scrub. I massage it onto my face and neck for maybe 1-2 minutes.
4. Rinse the sugar off. Your skin will feel oily. That's a good thing!
5. Pat your skin dry with a towel. Again, it might feel weird that your skin is oily, but trust me, that's where the magic happens! ;)
6. Continue with your evening skincare routine- eye cream, moisturizer, etc or just leave the oil on as your moisturizer and go to bed.
Assuming you get an adequate amount of sleep, you will wake up with beautiful glowy skin! I've been doing this a couple of times per week for years and it's so easy and effective. I always use this face scrub the night before a special event or important day at work. You can even make a bigger batch ahead of time and keep it in a sealed container in your bathroom (I wouldn't recommend more that a few days). I use this as a body scrub too, it's amazing. :)
I'd love to hear how it works for you!
Like what you see? Make sure to "subscribe" for more! I'll be starting a monthly newsletter in February- you won't want to miss it!