2018 Holiday Recipes
Almond Roasted Green Beans
I got my inspiration for this recipe from a dish my Aunt Cathy made when I was a kid visiting some of my family in Wisconsin. The almond/green bean combo is delicious, and I added some garlic as a flavor kick. This a great side dish at any holiday meal. The ghee makes it taste fantastic, and is suitable for anyone with sensitivity to dairy. I recommend doubling the recipe, because everyone will be asking for seconds!
12 oz (roughly 2 cups) trimmed organic green beans
1/4 cup organic sliced or slivered almonds
1 T ghee (preferred) or avocado or grapeseed oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp course grain black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with non-toxic parchment paper.
2. Heat the ghee in a large pan over the stove on medium. Allow ghee to fully melt (only takes a few seconds).
3. Add the garlic and allow to cook until fragrant. Add the salt and pepper and stir.
4. Add the green beans; stir until coated in the ghee mixture.
4. Pour contents onto baking sheet and spread evenly.
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-15 minutes, stirring once to ensure even cooking.
6. Add almonds, stir, then bake for an additional 3-5 minutes (until almonds are just starting to brown).
I like my green beans a little crunchy, but if you like them softer, you can cook the beans for longer until they are soft. Note that the longer you cook them, the less nutrients remain.
Update 6/6/19- I've made these with both slivered and sliced almonds, and I've decided I prefer the slivered almonds!