Updated: Mar 13
I got myself a cast iron skillet as an early Christmas gift maybe 2 weeks ago, and I have used it every day since! This thing is so versatile and mine is actually a single-serve so it's perfect when cooking for one or two people. This post is not sponsored, but if you are interested, I purchased this one.
Now on to this breakfast hash- I am still dreaming about it! There is no better way to start the day than with a healthy, hearty breakfast. Loaded with plenty of veggies, the flavor combination is second to none.
Note that this recipe serves one-If you already have a standard-sized cast iron skillet, simply triple or quadruple this recipe and follow the same instructions.
Holistic in Houston- Paleo Breakfast Farmer's Hash
Prep time: ~20-25 minutes
1/2 cup diced sweet potato
1/4 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup diced zucchini
1 strip bacon or turkey bacon, cut in half
1 pastured egg
Optional toppings: diced avocado and green onion.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the skillet on medium over the stove.
2. Lay the bacon slices out and cook them 2-4 minutes on each side or until crispy. Remove from skillet and set aside. Leave the bacon grease in the bottom to cook the veggies in. If you are using turkey bacon, you may need to add a little avocado or grapeseed oil, or grass fed butter/ghee since turkey doesn't give off much fat.
3. Lay the diced sweet potatoes out and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, untouched. Once they start to crisp on the bottom, add the onions and stir until slightly caramelized. Add the zucchini and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Make a little well in the middle of the veggie mixture and crack the egg into it. Place the entire skillet into the preheated oven, and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the egg is slightly white. (If you are making this for more than one person, make several wells throughout the pan and add the eggs 1-2 inches apart).
5. Add optional toppings- I like avocado, green onion and salsa.
6. Serve warm, but be careful because the skillet will be extremely hot!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and make sure to use #holisticinhouston on anything you post to be entered into my recipe giveaway!